Tuesday, February 12, 2008

A Weekend In the Yard





I spent this past weekend in the yard, mostly straightening up after "fall". I did manage to plant a few things, basil, thyme, oregano, and dill to be exact. I still plan on planting rosemary, mint, wheat grass, and a few tomatoes. I don't think we will be able to have a big garden this year. We just don't know the yard well enough yet. At this new house we have so many trees and they produce so much shade. I think we need to take one summer to note where in the yard gets the most sun. {Although after reading this post, I feel inspired and "pumped" to do a really BIG garden!} I WILL at least have tomatoes, by golly. I think I will do them in whiskey barrels.

I decided to plant my herbs in pots. I have never grown herbs from seeds before, but it's still wet and rainy around here and I figured it was a small gardening venture that required minimal effort and little risk. If you want to plan a garden don't forget to check the Farmer's Almanac. I did and look what it says about the dates I planted my seeds! (Feb 10-11 Seeds planted now will grow poorly and yield little.) I tell you, that FA is really handy. You can cut your hair, plant seeds, and quit smoking by it. I love it! Maybe there is still hope for my little seedlings? Maybe if I whisper sweet nothings to them???

I've been enjoying this book You Grow Girl. It's a no-fuss guide to gardening.



1 comment:

Unknown said...

this sounds so fun, I wish our weather would warm up so I can get out in the garden. Can we re-post this on the backyard farming blog???

OH, I got my shirt, and I'm in LOVE with it, thank you so much!!!