However, if you need some crafty activities to do with your kids on a hot summer's day. Here are some great ones to beat the heat with:
Whole sites dedicated to getting crafty with your kids.
This is next on my list. I remember doing this with my mom as a kid. I've been looking for directions for a while, and here they are.
(photo by Anne Margaret )
Crayon Cookies (don't worry, keep reading):
*all your broken bits of crayons (use all the same brand)
*oven preheated to 300 degrees
- Peel the paper off the broken crayons and break into small pieces (approx .5in -1 in.)
- In each muffin tin mix 2-3 highly contrasting colors of broken crayons.
- Melt in the oven for approx 5-10min. Watch until the crayons become liquid.
- Set out on counter to cool. Wait until they have hardened again, and then
- Put them in the freezer for approx 30 min. They should pop right out of the muffin pan.
- don't overfill the muffin tins, that will get too messy
- put a cookie sheet under the muffin pan while in the oven
- these make great gifts for your kids friends
- gives new life to your tattered box of broken crayons
Hope it's fun. If you make these send me some pics and I'll post them. If you do any thing crafty with your kids this summer send pics and I'll post them. Parent's unite, we need the resources, right? It takes a village. :)