Thursday, June 07, 2007

Summer Projects with Kids

Is it just me...my kids are crazy!?! They have completely forgotten how to entertain themselves. They take anything I'm using at the moment. And no matter how full the day was, they still complain. My five year old says to me, after a day of blueberry picking, swimming, gardening, building blocks, and watching a movie (whew) "you never play with me." Being the guilt-laden mother I am I instantly felt a sharp twinge of pain in my heart. But hours later after I digest those manipulative words more completely, I realize she cannot entertain herself. I am to blame, though, I have overindulged my children. Because of guilt, guilt that I must make my children content, confident, and happy I have robbed them of their ability to self soothe, self rely, and think creatively. No more, tomorrow is a new day! Mom's, don't feel guilty when you need to do things around the house, or for yourself that don't involve your children. As long as you give your children a healthy portion of your time, you do not need to feel responsible to give your children ALL of your time. When you leave them to their own devices you are allowing them time to get to know themselves, to be comfortable with down-time, and foster their own interest. Such valuable life long skills.

However, if you need some crafty activities to do with your kids on a hot summer's day. Here are some great ones to beat the heat with:


http://getcrafty.com/columns/west_coast_crafty/january_07_getting_crafty_with_kids.php


http://kiddley.com/


Whole sites dedicated to getting crafty with your kids.

This is next on my list. I remember doing this with my mom as a kid. I've been looking for directions for a while, and here they are.

(photo by Anne Margaret )


Crayon Cookies (don't worry, keep reading):


Supplies:
*all your broken bits of crayons (use all the same brand)
*muffin pan
*oven preheated to 300 degrees
Instructions:



  1. Peel the paper off the broken crayons and break into small pieces (approx .5in -1 in.)

  2. In each muffin tin mix 2-3 highly contrasting colors of broken crayons.

  3. Melt in the oven for approx 5-10min. Watch until the crayons become liquid.

  4. Set out on counter to cool. Wait until they have hardened again, and then

  5. Put them in the freezer for approx 30 min. They should pop right out of the muffin pan.

Helpful Tips:



  • don't overfill the muffin tins, that will get too messy

  • put a cookie sheet under the muffin pan while in the oven

  • these make great gifts for your kids friends

  • gives new life to your tattered box of broken crayons

Hope it's fun. If you make these send me some pics and I'll post them. If you do any thing crafty with your kids this summer send pics and I'll post them. Parent's unite, we need the resources, right? It takes a village. :)

No comments: